Potential Interaction of Digital and Sustainability Transformation of Businesses
The overall goal of the PhD project is to investigate if – and respectively how – advanced digital business applications, product and process innovations in this field, and related change management activities can be developed to create a two-way pipeline of data and information to deal with future sustainability topics that present challenges for businesses and their decision-makers. The project examines the following research questions: What are the main perceived synergies and/or conflicts between digital and sustainability business transformation? How relevant are formal business characteristics like industry, firm size or firm age regarding such synergies and/or conflicts? What are the roles of internal and external stakeholders concerning such synergies and/or conflicts?
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Gerstlberger|
|Availability:||This position is available.|
School of Business and Governance
Department of Business Administration
|Application deadline:||Applications are accepted between June 01, 2022 00:00 and June 30, 2022 23:59 (Europe/Zurich)|
Advanced digital business applications on the one side, combined with a strong sustainability business focus on the other side, is a current topic of special concern for business and society. Currently, it is still mainly unclear to what extent businesses apply effective use of advanced digital business applications, related product and process innovations as well as change management activities to achieve novel and reliable business practices. Through understanding the impact of organizations’ and persons’ activities, behavior and policies, this research seeks to better understand the development of sustainable digital applications and to change organizations’ and persons’ behavior to achieve desired outcomes.
The goal of this PhD project is to investigate if – and respectively how – advanced digital business applications, product and process innovations in this field, and related change management activities can be developed to create a two-way pipeline of data and information to deal with future sustainability topics that present challenges for businesses and their decision-makers.
The thesis should address the following questions: 1) What are the main perceived synergies and/or conflicts between digital and sustainability business transformation? 2) How relevant are formal business characteristics like industry, firm size or firm age regarding such synergies and/or conflicts? 3) What are the roles of internal and external stakeholders concerning such synergies and/or conflicts?
Responsibilities and (foreseen) tasks
- Conduct a systematical literature review regarding potential interactions between implementation of advanced digital business applications and businesses’ future sustainability topics
- Develop an analytical framework for investigating these potential interactions
- Collect relevant qualitative and quantitative data to investigate these potential interactions
- Develop theoretically and empirically justified managerial and policy recommendations.
Applicants should fulfil the following requirements:
- a master’s degree in business administration or a closely related field
- a clear interest in the topic of the position
- excellent command of English
- strong writing and analytical skills
- ability to work both as an independent researcher and as part of an international team
The following experience is beneficial:
- Working knowledge of software for (advanced) statistical analyses like SPSS or similar
- Working knowledge of software for (advanced) qualitative analyses like MAXQDA
- Working knowledge of quantitative data analysis / statistics
- Working knowledge of qualitative data analysis
The candidate should submit a research plan for the topic, including the overall research and data collection strategy. The candidate can expand on the listed research questions and tasks, and propose theoretical lenses to be used.
- 4-year PhD position with a business administration focus in a growing international and interdisciplinary research group
- The chance to do high-level research in a dynamic academic environment
- Opportunities for conference visits, research stays and networking with globally leading universities and research centers in the fields of sustainability, operations and innovation management
About the department
The Department of Business Administration (DBA) is providing educational, research and innovation services in the wider field of management. It has long and profound experiences in carrying out relevant research and project work including national and European projects with regards to innovation, operations and sustainability management, entrepreneurship and regional development as well as change, risk and human resource management. The research focus of the department is on digital transformation of SMEs, innovative business ecosystems and competence development for start-ups, knowledge management, and sustainability management for private and public organizations. DBA comprises several professors, adjunct professors, senior researchers, project support specialists, researchers and PhD students. DBA is part of the TALTECH School of Business and Governance which is a leading as well as the biggest and most international provider of economic education in Estonia. The new School of Business and Governance has been formed around former Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration with the focus on business, economy and society.
For further information, please contact Prof Wolfgang Gerstlberger, email@example.com or visit https://taltech.ee/en/department-business-administration